Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
Hopefully at this point the home renovation project is underway, and things are flowing smoothly. There is still a long way to go, so “slow and steady wins the race”.
The 80/20 Rule
There is saying that the first 80% of the work takes 20% of the time. It is important to start good habits and keep them up throughout the home remodel project. So keep coming back to what we have pointed out.
1. Be Proactive: If you are uncertain about something or not sure ask. Your architect and your builder are not mind readers. They need you to let them know your concerns.
2. Begin with the End in Mind: As issues arise during the project, always view them and their resolution within the context of how they will affect the outcome of the project.
3. First Things First: Always prioritize. As the project progresses the priorities will change on a day to day basis so you always need to reassess your priorities.
4. Think Win Win: If you approach issues from a mutually beneficial perspective the outcome is usually more fruitful.
5. Understand and Be Understood: Always try to see why you are being told why something is being done a certain way and understand that before you contradict it. Your view may be the correct one, but that will only be further reinforced through mutual understanding.
6. Synergize: work as a team. Respect every one of your team member’s talents and they will be much more committed to the success of the project.
7. And Repeat until the end of the project.